Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Picture me this



 




TOP FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVELS


I discovered Graphic Novels last year and turned into an addict. Oh well!!


Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Touching story set during the Islamic Revolution.

Maus by Art Spiegelman

Holocaust account. Considered a classic in the Graphic Novel genre.
Blankets by Craig Thompson

I'm about to review this book. It's well-drawn and retells the pain of a first heartbreak from a dude's point of view.
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Growing up means learning how to love yourself no matter where you come from. 
Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

One of my all time favorites. I can't count how many times it has made my top ten. 
Are you my Mother by Alison Bechdel

I was grateful that the writer exposed so much -- past the wound, the hurt, the pain.
YKids Collection

Collection also includes Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Leonardo Da Vinci, Einstein and Marie Curie. Depicts their life from birth to death. Well-illustrated. 

12 comments:

  1. I am not a graphic novel reading, but last year I went to a library workshop about them. The speaker encourages me to read Maus, bc it's in a genre I already read. I read it and the sequel and it touched my heart. It also opened me up to a world that not just text, but pictures as well. If you'd like here is my review on Maus, it has changed the way I look at graphic novels-forever.

    http://ouachitaya.blogspot.com/2013/09/maus-vol-1-my-father-bleeds-history.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. Looking forward to reading your review. I couldn't put Maus down. I was glad I picked up both books at once.

      Delete
  2. I have never read a graphic novel but I love to read. Maybe I should try reading one.
    xx, Jodi
    http://highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh nice topic choice! Gotta admit, I don't read many of these. Only the ones that are based off my book series, which might almost be cheating in a sense! ;)

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New to those. Tried the manga version of Beautiful Creatures but didn't like it. Guess I should have read the actual novel first.

      Delete
  4. Great topic choice! I love a good graphic novel. American Born Chinese and Anya's Ghost are a couple of my favorites. I've heard a couple people talk about Blankets so I would like to pick it up at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drawings are great and the book is less depressing than Habibi.

      Delete
  5. I've never read a graphic novel before - but I really like the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list, I looove graphic novels ^^

    Anya's Ghost is one of my top favourites too! I need to read Maus and Blakets!

    ReplyDelete