Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hot Covers: The Island by Jen Minkman





Jen Minkman, author of Shadow of Time is back with a brand new novel entitled The Island. This time she tackles Dystopia while providing us with a hot delicious cover that is too heavenly for my Cupid eyes (hence the shades).



‘I walk toward the sea. The endless surface of the water extends to the horizon, whichever way I look.

Our world is small. We are on our own, and we only have ourselves to depend on. We rely on the Force deep within us, as taught to us by our forefathers. 


If I were to walk westward from here, I would come across a barrier – the Wall. Behind it, there are Fools. At least, that’s what everyone says.


I have never seen one.’


Leia lives on the Island, a world in which children leave their parents to take care of themselves when they are ten years old. Across this Island runs a wall that no one has ever crossed. The Fools living behind it are not amenable to reason – they believe in illusions. That’s what The Book says, the only thing left to the Eastern Islanders by their ancestors. 


But when a strange man washes ashore and Leia meets a Fool face to face, her life will never be the same. Is what she and her friends believe about the Island really true?


Or is everyone in their world, in fact, a Fool?



The book came out June 1st 2013.  Feel free to check it out on Goodreads.




6 comments:

  1. The description sounds really intriguing, but I just can't get past the Star Wars aspect enough to read it. I mean, I LOVE Star Wars but I'm just ... eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising how many books/movies are modelled around Star Wars. In film script class we had to model every action around Scarface: the bad guy is winning, winning and loses everything in one shot, lol.

      Delete
  2. Being I haven't seen Star Wars since I was seven or eight. I barely remember anything about the movies. I never pick up on the Star Wars similarities, which is a good thing for me. =)

    Otherwise, I think I'd be annoyed like the poster above every time a book similar to Star Wars was published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's time for us to revisit. I haven't seen them in years either.

      Personally, I'm glad it's Leia and not Luke. I don't remember her getting a lot of attention :/

      Delete
  3. The book is not similar to Star Wars. Some of the events in the movie have special significance to the people in The Island, though, so it's kind of essential to the plot. I'm not gonna tell you guys what, you'll have to read the book for that ;)

    ReplyDelete