Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Review: Cruel Summer


Greece is a perfect location for a summer book, and Alyson Noel made sure to add enough details to make us feel abroad with Colby. The story is told through diary excerpts, emails, blog posts and comments. So don't expect dialogue, or like me, you'll be disappointed. 

The lack of ''communication'' made the romance between Colby and Yannis feel vague. Also, Colby was going through a lot of teen problems: divorce, friend trading for popularity, sex... and being stuck in her whiny thoughts the whole time is heavy stuff. I often found myself putting the book down, wondering why it was taking me so long to finish a two hundred page book.  

All in all, Alyson did create a realistic perspective and ending. 
   

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I love the Greece part, but I don't know about this diary, email, etc. stuff. I've never came across a book like that. And Colby sounds really whiny, I can't stand characters like that... and yet *sigh* I like Alyson Noel's books. Maybe I'll give this one a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first Alyson Noel book. I'll give her another try.

      Delete