Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Review: The S-Word



Slut.

Grabs your attention, right? It certainly grabbed Lizzie's when she read it on her school locker after getting caught in bed with Angie's boyfriend. If I had been the one to catch my best friend and my sweetheart in bed on prom night, this story would've had a different ending. See, I'm glad Angie caught them. Rather than angry and savage -- she was disappointed. And so Lizzie killed herself. Jumped off the roof of the school. Of course, no one kills themselves after one week of bullying. There had to be bigger reasons for such a drastic action. What was Lizzie hiding?

This is a debut novel, and although I see a lot of talent between the lines, several things made this story difficult to follow. No one wants to be reminded they are reading a book: 

"I know what you are thinking. Kids? Liquor? No Way! Relax. I'm not saying I was an adolescent boozehound." 

Not only was Angie judgmental of everyone in the story, but us too? Her constant insinuations that everyone bullied Lizzie for her sake, so it was her fault, made no sense. As she was neither a popular kid in school, nor did she participate with the others. 

And although it is true that certain people change their minds a lot, switching from "I like you, I like you not," several times in one book, this coming from both characters in the relationship, is quite confusing. Bisexuality is not a new topic, and sadly, Chelsea struggled when it came to pull it through. 

All in all, the story would've been more much interesting with a stronger main lead.

2 comments:

  1. Huh, this sounded interesting before, but if there is so much indecisiveness, I'm not sure I'll read it. I'm still curious when it comes to the reason why Lizzie decided to kill herself, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there was more than one reason. It is also what made me read the book.

      Delete