Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Arsenic and Dull Words

 



TOP WORDS YOU AVOID


As children we were all told to avoid one written word: Poison. Do not ingest it,  do not touch it. And do not test feed it to the plants to make them carnivorous. The word poison will eventually fade from our parents lectures to be replaced with drugs and herpes. But the stigma of reading poison anywhere will remain forever. Here are other words that turn me off when written on a back cover.



Journey usually implies lots of narration in which the main characters will over analyse the small issues in their lives and over over analyse the big ones. 








Teen Girls yurk. What if you aren't one? What if you are a boy or a mother that enjoys this type of YA literature -- must you be kept aside? This type of judgmental back cover is usually a sign for dull-witted narration.








I don't always avoid dual narratives. Although, I admit that aside from The Wolves of Mercy Falls I have yet to enjoy both narratives in a book.










   Too many buts can be confusing. 












13 comments:

  1. Hahaha! "Journey!" I had to go more topical with mine. I couldn't really think of that many specific words of the top of my head - though there are MANY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice ones! Interesting way of going about this one! My list is somewhat similar since I didn't go on topics or genres. Maybe some topics...but I kind of thought of them more as elements and seeing the actual word in a description of said book.

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topics is great too. Can't wait to read it :D

      Delete
  3. That is such a good list!! I hate it when books say, teen girls will love this....yeah I'm a teen girl, why on earth should I love this. I want reasons. It is also way to general. Some teen girls may love it while others don't, and you're so right. What about boys or people above 19.....Ridiculous....Moving on, it takes a lot for an author to pull off a dual narrative. And very few authors manage it! So that is definitely a good thing to have on your list! Nice job!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's just like Twilight, lol. Can't believe some books do compare themselves with the saga.

      Delete
  4. Oh I hate Wolves of Mercy Falls like no other...how about books like Legend with a dual narratives where you cannot distinguish between narrators because they sound exactly alike? Such entertainment...great blog btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I haven't read Legend yet, and I think I'll keep on postponing it.

      Delete
  5. Dual narratives have managed to cause me much pain, and yet I keep hoping. I'm too optimistic for my own time constraints and/or good! LOL :) Great list, I went more genre/theme specific with mine.

    My TTT:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your optimism :D hihi. I, too, hope that one day I'll find the perfect dual narrative book.

      Delete
  6. I've only read a few dual narrative books that I've liked: Pushing the Limits, Dare You To, and Legend come to mind mostly. Definitely agree on the rest like "Teen Girls" and overuse of "but." Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, your list list was unique! But.... lol
    here is my TTT
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-what-will-make-me-not.html

    ReplyDelete