Thursday, July 11, 2013

Writing with a Friend -- Road to Heaven or Destruction?


I welcomed a new writing buddy today. His name is Latte and he squeaks of delight when I get a good idea, or maybe when he is playful, I don't know yet.

Our arrangement soon got me thinking about collaborative writing in general. Can two authors pour their souls into one work or is it the best way to ruin a friendship?

David Levithan has written many collaborative fiction. His secret is alternating chapters, and making sure than each author has their own character voice. In an interview with Publishers Weekly Andrea Cremer, co-author of Invisibility, said that, "Levithan advised her to think of him as her intended audience and that they both kept their own personal projects on the side." Maybe collaborative fiction isn't so bad. What do you think?





9 comments:

  1. I don't think I've read a lot of collaborative works, but I did read Nick & Nora and one of his other collabs (I can't remember the name and I'm too lazy to look right now, oops). Maybe it works for authors if they both know where the story is going and didn't go completely off with it? I think I'd be too selfish and would just want to do my own thing!

    But Latte is adorable and I'm sure your partnership will be extremely beneficial to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D

      Yeah, I think I would butt heads a lot too, lol. It must be nice to meet someone who is dedicated to the same project and would fulfill deadlines on time.

      Delete
  2. I read a collaborative by Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaimen and it was very good. It took them a few years (considered the distance with being on two separate continents) and they both talked about the process after and how they each had something different to offer and contribute which balanced the other half out.

    I honestly think it depends on the two writers and their personalities. It is quite an interesting topic though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, two different continents. Looks of 'Skyping' It must awesome writing with Niel Gaimen ;)

      Delete
    2. lol the book is fantastic (and you can hear them both in it), they started it before skype days and before they were big big names. They have an interesting bit at the end of the book that talks about the effort and is pretty interesting (as well as the story itself!)

      Highly recommend it!

      Delete
  3. I think it depends. If you come up with the idea together with no preconceptions about what should happen it would work well, and it might help keep you out of the "how do I get from here to there" slump. But in some cases it wouldn't work because of conflicting ideas about where everyone should end up. Definitely not for control freaks. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I admit I was surprised to see Levithan work with soooo many authors. He must be real easy to get along with.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if I've read any collaborations that were better than each author's individual books. I've honestly avoided them in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm weary about readign the one Levitahn wrote with John Green. Nick & Nora didn't work for me :s

      Delete