Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Red Carpet

 



TOP BOOK-TO-MOVIE ADAPTATION


Having a book you love turn into a movie is nerve wracking. What if they pick the wrong actress or a director that changes the ending? What if they ruin the book?

Here at my top adaptations that I believe made the book even better.



Little Women (1933) 
Katherine Hepburn gave us the most overly confident and boyish Jo March that I have seen in any of the remakes. And Amy didn't fall far behind. Joan Bennett played Amy to perfection despite being 23 at the time, and pregnant. 









The Shining (1980)
Praise Stanley Kubrick for changing the ending of the book. I never reveal endings  (because spoils aren't fun) but  if you've seen the film and read the book let me know which ending you preferred.









All the Potter Movies (2001-2011)
They did not change much of the story making them a perfect adaptation. The producer first marked the project as low-priority and set it aside. Tsk, tsk, tsk ... glad he gave it a second thought. 










My Sister's Keeper (2009)
Sorry Jodi Picoult, but the movie ending did not make me scream out of rage like the one in the book. In fact, this one made me cry. 










The Hunger Games (2012)
Great casting, great director, and quite faithful to the story. I loved this film, and keep waiting for Catching Fire to premiere.

8 comments:

  1. I forgot about Little Women; great choice!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier.

    Erin @ YA Book Crush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great top ten! Loved HP too:)

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know there was a Little Women made in '33. (I also want to eat some chocolate now after looking at your meme.) :)

    Pam
    http://moonlightreader.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Shining is probably my favorite book to movie. Also, I really loved Enchanted April and Room with A View. And yeah, the '33 LW is so much better than the Winona Ryder/Claire Danes one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of them minus, My SIster's Keeper. It upset me greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen the Hepburn version of Little Women...I'll have to find a copy soon. Yeah for Hunger Games and HP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catching Fire can't get here fast enough! No seriously, it can't!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only seen THG and HP movies off of this list and they were my tops as well! The Sister's Keeper seems to be a love-hate film for most, I've seen it on both sides of the list this week!

    ReplyDelete